Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Secret Gardener

Yippee! With Spring truly sprung and the first rains bringing out the snails, it's good to have seen this beautiful creature a few times and know that I have back-up in the garden.





















Can't see it yet? What you're looking for is the Blue-tongued Skink. Its scientific name is Tiliqua scincoides. This 25cm lizard likes to wander round gardens in the daytime finding many different things to eat, including fruit, flowers, eggs and snails.

Here it is in a more assertive moment ...


3 comments:

Life With Dogs said...

How fun - we live in a cool climate and never see reptiles...

Wiza the greyhound said...

"Fun you call it? FUN? Now I have to check out every rustling leaf and search every inch of the yard before I can relax and take a pee!

Not to mention looking under my dog-bed before I can grab a snooze in the sun!

Reptiles?! You can keep 'em!"

Pilgrim said...

Met one of those lizards a few days ago. Not a flicker, not a twitch as I passed where it was sunning itself behind the compost bin.It just did its sphinx thing.
He's got to be a hero in the garden, eating slugs and snails. I've got no taste for them myself.