Sunday, August 1, 2010

August is a cruel month

I never could easily bring myself to cut back and prune like the garden experts say, and having inherited a garden with some injudicious planting by a previous occupant, those 'nice little hedge plants' are now rearing horrors 6 metres tall with hidden spines and yellow berries that seem to have a purgative effect on flying foxes. 'Sheena's Gold!' Hah!  If I ever get my hands on that Sheena I'll ... but I digress.

The plants I have put in have mostly stayed amenable, (with the exception of an olive tree which I allowed to grow to some 5 metres high, in a moment of inattention brought on by my expectations that it would stay looking like those charming specimens that adorn Greek hillsides - and this in sub-tropical Queensland!)

Fortunately, even at my advanced age, I am capable of learning from my mistakes. I have found that I can more readily hack the poor things about if I don't have to brutally squash all of the trimmings into the garden bag.

So my reward for hard-hearted horticulture?  A lovely display of grevillea prunings!

No comments: